2013 Disney Princess Half Marathon – Recap! My first half marathon


I've been wanting to update my blog a lot sooner, but since I returning from my very first race-cation, work has just been super busy.   I'm a few days late but better than nothin’.   My goal is to share with you the same motivation and at the same time chronicle my journey with clean eating, weight and fitness, to include my endeavors with running, strength training and cross fit.



Race Day!
This entire experience was deeply moving for me.  I was overwhelmed with emotion towards the end.  I was handed my medal after crossing the finish line and yes I was so proud of myself. I refuse to look back at that finish time again, I just want to keep relishing in the moment that I ran across the finish line high-fiving Mickey Mouse.

 
I will continue to build on the experience.  (Some wise words from my Aunt the triathlete)  I didn’t quit when it hurt and I didn’t quit when it got really tough.  I am a half-marathoner.
Have you had an experience where you didn’t quit or give up when it just got to be incredibly tough? How did you feel after?



What an exciting weekend of fun in the sun it was!  If you’re a beginner (newbie) to running longer distances…I can’t think of any other more welcoming, fun and exciting race to start your long(er) distance running with. 

So last November while visiting Walt DisneyWorld with our nephews I had the chance to see the people who were preparing to run the Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon. Everyone seemed to be having a blast and let’s face it who doesn’t love food and wine. My husband reassured me that I too could do a half marathon if I prepared and trained for it. As soon as I returned home, I pulled up my calendar counted the weeks until the Princess Half Marathon and registered for the Feb24th 2013 race!

After 2 ½ months of training using the Jeff GallowayRun/Walk method, figuring out fuel, hydrating, meeting some very awesome ladies that were also embarking on this exciting journey at our favorite magical fantasyland…I was there. I was ready to do this. Ready to wake up at 2 am!
  
Fast forward 14 weeks later. I’m a half-marathoner!  I finished.  But how did it ever happen you wonder?  I knew with the picture stops, amount ofpeople and add in the humid conditions that I’d have a tough time trying to runat my normal goal race pace. This isn’t the place to even try to PR. It’sDisney! Even Disney didn’t have the Pixie Dust to remove the villainous humidity we all felt that morning. Training in sub-30 degree weather throughout the winter didn’t prep my lungs to breathe in the sauna-like air that hit me very hard after mile 5.5. I stopped at the medic tent to get checked out and encouraged my friend to continue on and that I might catch up somehow. A few minutes later I attempted to run and try to find my friend, but couldn’t get my breathing right again and that’s when I realized that I needed to just simply take a “walk-in-the-park” and enjoy the race as best as I could. I continued to stop at each medic station after mile 5 to get blood pressure, pulse and lungs checked…resting for7-10 minutes at a time.  I stopped for a few photos with Genie and my obsession with Aladdin/Jasmine. 

Those last few miles were the hardest ever…I was walking with the balloon lady that warns people to keep up with her or else…we risk getting picked up by the van.  I also met some very sweet people along the way who talked to me and kept my mind from wanting to quit and get swept.   When I saw the gospel choir I knew it was a matter of seconds or minutes in my case that I’d be crossing the finish line…once I saw the arch I picked up the pace and sprinted with my new friend toward it! I gave her a huge hug and high five!

Comments